Production of Unrefined Organic Sugar and Sugar Cane in Cabo Delgado Province
Client – Ouro Verde, Lda
Location – Cabo Delgado – Mozambique
Year – 2012 – 2015
Time – 3.5 years
Verde Azul developed, in the province of Cabo Delgado, a commercial project, of small size of sugar cane, vertically integrated.
This project was initiated through research studies on varieties of sweet sorghum and sugar cane for a Swedish investor in the area of Bioenergy. The work carried out by Verde Azul involved the following actions:
- the selection of a suitable location;
- the development of the feasibility study;
- the mobilization of personnel and training;
- application of land, water, environment and other licenses;
- certification of the area by ECOCERT for the production of sugarcane and sweet sorghum, as well as other seeds;
- the processing of organic sugar;
- pre-certification by the RSB (Roundtable on Sustainable Biomaterials);
- identification of investment partners;
- funding requests and grant mobilization;
- presentation of business plans and implementation of the project in coordination with AGRICANE (a South African consulting group specialized in the production of sugarcane and with a long history in Mozambique).
In December 2014, sugarcane seed plantations of various varieties suitable for the location had already been established and the factory was completed so that the first batches of sugar tests could already be produced.